Sunday, September 7, 2008

By Jack B.

Daisy awoke to the sound of her small cousin, Piper, tossing and turning beside her. Daisy lay still, staring up at the white textured ceiling, thinking about the night before. Reluctantly, she got up, making sure not to wake her cousin. Daisy slowly crept down the creaky stairs and out the door to the garden. She walked through the luscious flower beds of tulips and morning glories, wondering what time he would arrive. Alfred, Daisy’s friend from New York, had called the night before, telling her that he was coming to England for a couple of months, and needed a place to stay until he could find a hotel. She quickly suggested that he stayed with her and her cousins, but in her excitement, Daisy neglected to ask Alfred what time he would be coming. Not wanting miss his arrival, Daisy decided to wait in the front of the house. After about an hour, a cab pulled up to the end of the driveway, and someone got out of the car, paid the driver, and turned towards the house. Daisy’s face lit up as she realized that it was Alfred who was standing there, with the sun shining off of his brown skin and muscular arms. He began to walk towards the house, but before he could get five steps, Daisy was running up to him, and greeting him with a very enthusiastic hug.

“Alfred,” Shrieked Daisy, still embracing him tightly in a bear hug. “How are you? I haven’t seen you forever!”

Grinning, Alfred said, “I’m pretty good, but I’d be better if I could breathe.”
“Sorry,” said Daisy as she released him from her hug. “So, what made you come to England?” she asked while brushing her hair from her face.

“Well,” replied Alfred while picking up his suitcase and beginning towards the house, “ after I stopped boxing for Mr. Donatelli, I decided I needed something new for a while, so I saved up my money and bought a ticket to come here.”
“Well, what I don’t get, is why England? Out of anywhere in the world, why did you want to come here, especially with the war just ending a little while ago?”

“I was talking to your dad the other day, and he told me that you were here, so I thought I’d come because I wanted to see you again, and I didn’t want to go somewhere where I wouldn’t know anyone.”

Walking up the front steps into the house, Daisy said, “You always did like my dad a lot.” Suddenly she stopped, turned slowly to Alfred and said in a very serious voice, “But you don’t like Davina, right?”

“No, not at all.” chuckled Alfred.

“Okay, good. I just had to make sure of that.” The two walked into the kitchen, and Alfred sat his suitcase down next to the table.

“So,” said Alfred as he sat at the table, “were you here for the whole invasion?”

“Yeah, I was in England the whole time, but not here in particular.” Daisy stood up and opened the window, letting in a cool, fresh breeze of air. “We were taken away and had to live with a military family. Piper and I that is.” Daisy walked over to the refrigerator and pulled out the milk. “After that, we walked all the way back here on our own, and that’s when my dad called and made me fly home.”

“Wow, that must have been difficult for you.”

“Yeah, it was, but I got through it.” said Daisy. “So, how long are you staying?” she asked.

“Oh, I’m only staying tonight. The cab driver told about a hotel not that far from here, so I think I’m going to stay there.” said Alfred. “Well, I’m tired, I haven’t slept since I was still in New York, is there anywhere that I can sleep?” Alfred asked, yawning.

“Yes. Go up the stairs, second door on the right.” replied Daisy.

“Thanks” said Alfred as he headed up the stairs.

No comments: