Sunday, September 7, 2008

Another Journey Begins by Colleen S

Edmond was now alone, not literally alone, but he knew no one. He was staying back in the village he and his brother had gone to, to live, but Isaac had decided to leave back for home. Edmond was sitting there, his hair more raggedy than ever. Edmond had not been able to give himself another haircut since he and his family had been separated. The boy was stressed and upset, and had not gotten his hands on a cigarette because he had no money and was not at home to make one. Edmond knew that his job there was to save the souls left behind in that little village but now wished that he was back home where it would be much safer with at least one person that he was comfortable with. He walked back into his tiny two room house to rest. His job to help people would start the next day he had decided.

Becca Berlin and had decided to take a trip, since already finding out her Gemma’s past in Poland, she had decided to go on another trip, but this time just for fun. She had gotten to England expecting a great time. But she hadn’t realizes that she would now be sucked into a horrible war. Becca came upon a small village and needed a place to stay, at least for the night, and figured she could finally head back home tomorrow. The village looked suitable, but some of the roofs were damaged but Becca didn’t quite mind the ivy and some of the overgrown weeds. She though it made the place seem interesting.

“Hello? Who are you?” asked Edmond to a girl he saw walking up to his small coved front door.

“Hi, I’m Becca Berlin and I was just looking for a quiet place to stay for the night. But I see that this house is occupied so I’ll just leave now.”

“No, no that’s alright. You can stay here but I can’t promise you a comfortable bed. There isn’t much room here. My brother left this village without me. But I chose to stay here. There are souls in this village that need saving and that’s what I’m staying here to do. Well at least for a few months. Then hopefully I’ll be heading back home.”

Becca looked around the small house briefly, though there wasn’t much to look at. The walls were mostly bare, and the only light was coming in from the door and two small windows. Candles were around but not lit. There was one bed, and it didn’t look like the cleanest thing, but it would do.

“Oh well that’s very nice of you. I’m supposed to be here on a quiet vacation right now just to get away from work and things, but I see you can tell what a mess this war has made it,” Said Becca.
Becca was wearing a simple white shirt and a beautiful but casual long billowy skirt. Edmond thought she was pretty and the colors of oranges and yellows on her skirt reminded him of the sunsets he saw with his siblings and mother at home.

“So why England?” asked Edmond.

“What?” asked Becca.

“You know, why’d you choose to come here out of all the places in the world?”

“Well,” replied Becca, “I’ve already been to Poland to find the past of my Gemma, and that turned out to be a very interesting story that has actually affected my life forever. I’ve decided to come back to Europe because I love it so much and I find it so very interesting. Who knows, maybe I’ll find out something here. I learn something new everyday you know.”

“Yea, I’ve heard that before. You really remind me of someone.” said Edmond, “You seam really nice and caring, and that you have a lot of stories to tell.”

Edmond had thought that Becca was just like Daisy, and now that he thought about her, he realized how much he missed her. Edmond knew that his love for her was wrong, but he could not help the feelings. I wonder where she is right no, he thought.

Edmonds train of though was interrupted by Beccas soothing and calm voice.

“Well, I had gone to Poland because I had promised my Gemma on her death bed to find out about her past. She had left me with a box of clues but they didn’t connect very well at all. When I got to Poland, I met my translator and we actually became good friends. I even helped her buy a computer so that we could talk more often with living so far away from each other and all. When I found out who My Gemma had conceived my mother with, I actually got to meet him and here the story firsthand. It was a great experience,” explained Becca. “So what about you? What’s your story?”

“Well, to make a long story short, I miss my cousin Daisy very, very much and I’m now separated from my whole family. This war has ruined everything. But I have to be strong and be able to depend on myself. I am old enough now.”

Becca was slightly confused about why he missed his cousin so much out of his whole family, but she was too tired to ask lots of questions even though she was usually a very curious person.

“So where do you think I can crash for the night?” Becca asked.

“Oh well you can take the bed tonight.” Edmond replied.

“Well that is very nice of you” Said Becca.
They finally both lay down to sleep. Thinking of the people they missed the most in their lives right now. For Becca it was her dearly departed Gemma. For Edmond, it was his cousin Daisy. Would he ever to be able to see her again?

No comments: